Laos: The Jewel of Mekong

Vang Vieng to Luang Prabang to Vientiane.


In a little more than 4 days, I managed to move around these three places! Many would say that I haven’t done justice to the beauties to these places and I’ll not disagree with them. But for a leave strived and an average traveller, my intent was to see as much as I can. Sleep was at least one thing that I could suppress.

I was lucky to be in Vang Vieng in 3 hours from Vientiane (average travel time ~ 4 hours) and to be in Luang Prabang in 4 hours from Vang Vieng (average travel time ~ 6 hours). We were only 5 and 3 respectively in the Van and the driver was able to pull at high speed. Eventually the law of averages caught up and the journey from Luang Prabang to Vientiane was 12 hours.

Vang Vieng
Highlights of the trip: Kuang Si waterfall 
Kwang Si Waterfall

Confluence of Nam Khon river  and Mekon River at sunset
Vang Vieng isn't what it used to be prior to 2012. The party is over and it is very calm and peaceful. The small city surrounded by limestone cliffs and river offers plenty for tourist.

Cliffs from old airstrip


SunSet and VangVieng

The Phu Kham cave, 7 km from main street is still popular with tourist. It gives a resemblance to old Vang Vieng.



Hiring a mountain bike and taking a stroll around is also a good option.





Of the things to do in Vang Vieng, hot air balloon is also an option (I didnt do it).

After Vang Vieng, I travelled to Luang Prabang. It is a scenic journey with winding and climbing roads. Once one is in Luang Prabang, a beautiful feeling sinks in :). As if the walls, the buildings have life in it and they are speaking to tell their stories. Here are some photos of landscape and architecture in Lunag Prabang. They are all near by except Kwang Si Waterfall. One can hire/share a tuk tuk to Kwang Si. 

Wat Xieng Thong



National Museum


Kwang Si Waterfall
Even in the driest month of April, the waterfall in blooming with water. 



PhouSi hill
300 steps to the top starting in front of National Museum, it gives a good view of Luang Prabang 


There are many other temples that are equally beautiful and at those place I allowed the emotions, feelings and imagination take over and kept my camera in the bag. 

The next morning I got up at 5 am to see the Luang Prabang's Alms giving ceremony. 





This concludes my first visit to Luang Prabang.  I took a beautiful journey back to Vientiane.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gunung Merbabu : A gentle stroll from Wekas village to Selo

Gunung Rinjani - Trek in the cloud

From the bygone era: Jama Masjid and Qutub Minar